3.4.11

Actress, writer and domestic goddess Jane Asher, 64, is a savvy investment shopper. She’s married to cartoonist Gerald Scarfe, with whom she has three children, and lives in London.

Jane says : I try to be classic without being mumsy. I had been creeping towards the jeans up-to-the-waist look until my daughter reprimanded me ! Having her around has definitely stopped me getting too set in my ways. I do enjoy fashion — a lot of runway clothes are pretty unwear-able, but if moderated the trends can be worn by just about anyone. I abhor disposable fashion, and I don’t buy designer clothes because they’re too expensive. I’ll splash out on an luxury item only if I know I’ll use it to death. I’m 5ft 6in, but I’m quite skinny, so I have to pick fitted, tailored clothes otherwise they just hang off me. Strapless dresses can make me look a bit bony unless I dress them up with the right jewellery. My mum taught me that redheads shouldn’t wear pink, red or orange, but if you choose the right shade, such as a bright orange or a cherry red, it can look fabulous. I remember how wicked I felt the first time I wore red. I’m a creature of habit, so I like going to boutiques, rather than larger stores, where I know I’ll find something that suits me every time. My favourite is Sally Parsons on Bute Street in London, where they stock fantastic dresses, tops and coats from labels such as Isabel de Pedro. I adore animal prints, but you have to pick carefully or you end up channelling your inner Bet Lynch. My off-duty look would be a V-neck cashmere sweater with jeans or slacks. I’m a real sucker for sales, and I’ve had two memorable fashion bargains over the years. Years ago, I bought a beautiful soft sheepskin coat, and I’ve never regretted what I spent on it because it’s like getting into bed every time I put it on. I also love my classic black Jaeger raincoat, which I got for a good price in a sale a couple of years ago.

No comments: